Engineering Physics

Department Administrator – Dennis Manthey

  • Financial Management and Data (non-sponsored)
  • Business Processes
  • Property Administrator
  • Facilities
  • Staff Support and Development

Assistant Department Administrator – Dina Christenson

  • HR & Payroll Operations
  • Department Budget Management
  • Financial Reporting and Data
  • Faculty Payroll Grids & Buyout Data
  • Visa Resource/Processing
  • Graduate Student Appointments
  • Bi-weekly payroll management
  • Notary

University Relations Specialist – Tim Jensen

  • Event Coordinator/Marketing
  • Social Media and Web Content
  • Faculty and Scholarship Award Coordinator
  • Donor/Alumni Relations
  • Annual Report Coordinator

Financial Specialist Senior – Kathy Wegner

  • Purchasing
  • Reimbursements
  • Payment Processing
  • Financial Management
  • MDS Account Management
  • Risk Management/Driver Authorizations
  • Phone Lines & Printer Contracts

Research Administrator (Pre- and Post-Award Sponsored Projects)Nancy Griego

  • Proposal Submissions
  • Budget Preparation for Proposals
  • Contracts and Agreement Services
  • Subaward Coordination
  • Financial Management of Federal Sponsored Projects.

Accountant (Post-Award Sponsored Projects) – Jesse Prochaska

  • Federal expenditure controls
  • Effort certification and payroll funding
  • Financial Projected Balances
  • Project Closing Services
  • Sponsor Documentation Requests

Research Administrator (Pre- and Post-Award Sponsored Projects) – Lauren Gee

  • Proposal Construction
  • Proposal Submissions
  • Budget Preparation
  • Subaward Coordination and Management
  • Post-Award Management of Federal Sponsored Projects
  • Project Closing Services
  • Please arrange household relocation plans with Dept Administrator Dennis Manthey.
  • Obtain a UW ID card. Contact Dina Christenson for guidance.
  • Keys for access to building labs or offices are requested through the KeyLime system at URL: Keys requested by staff and students for access to your assigned space through this system will be routed to you for approval. Your Wiscard will allow access to the building after hours.
  • Parking permits and bus passes can be requested from UW Transportation Services.
  • Office supplies in stock were purchased with Dept budget funds. For personal preference supplies wanted, your personal funds will need to pay for them.

Facility Issues

If your office or lab has any physical issues related to safety, maintenance, repairs, etc… please contact Dennis Manthey.

Conference Rooms

Reservations can be made using Engineering Media Services (EMS) using your NetID login for most rooms within COE.  Complete all information before submitting your request.

A confirmation email will be received if/when requests are approved.  Note some rooms may not allow food/drink.


Curricular Services controls classroom reservations—which are scheduled after classroom assignments are made each semester.  Your contact for Engineering Physics classroom reservations will be Catherine Turng from the Undergraduate Student Services office.

Space Assignments and Keys

The Engineering Physics Dept will assign office and lab space. Based on your HR appt, your Wiscard will allow after-hours building access to the Engineering Research Building. Keys for access to building labs or offices are requested through the KeyLime system at URL: Keys requested by staff and students for access to your assigned space through this system will be routed to you for approval.

IT Support & General Information

Faculty Profile

Please go to You’ll need to log in using your NetID and password. Once logged in, you’ll click “Create new profile” at the bottom of the page. You can include your lab website on this profile as well. Please consult Tim Jensen with any questions.

External Relations

The College of Engineering has an external relations team who will work with you on exciting stories regarding your research, grants you may receive or anything else pertaining to your time here. You will meet with them to get a profile written to be used to introduce you as a new faculty member to CoE and EP. If you have exciting news to share, please send details to Tim Jensen.

Department Website

If you notice changes to the department’s website, send them to the Tim Jensen.

Social Media

Please follow us on Twitter and Facebook. If you’re active on social media, please follow us and tag us in your posts!

Department Events

The EP Department hosts multiple events and functions throughout the year. During the academic year, there are many internal announcements for seminars and colloquiums that are communicated by office staff. In addition, the Dept coordinates student-focused events—such as annual Grad Student Orientation, Graduation Receptions and a Scholarship Awards Reception. Larger events include the Graduate Recruiting “Visit Wisconsin Weekend,” an annual visit from our Industrial Liaison Committee and also the College’s Engineers’ Day event in the fall.

Other events that are to be hosted by faculty in conjunction with a discipline or sponsor may be outsourced to UW Extension Conference Services if the number of expected participants is deemed to be too large. All events are posted on the EP and COE websites. Consult with Tim Jensen for event-related issues.

State/UW Environment

The UW-Madison is partially funded as a higher education institution with public dollars. Our environment is regulated, administered and monitored by the State of Wisconsin, UW-System, UW-Madison and federal sponsors of awards.  Department Administrator Dennis Manthey will provide more details on these important relationships and how they affect day-t0-day operations.

Department Administrative Staff

The Engineering Physics Department has an experienced and networked staff, all dedicated to facilitating what they can.  Dept Administrator Dennis Manthey will use the staff organization chart to identify roles with business and admin services.  The goal of staff is to facilitate business services needed by EP faculty–while at the same time ensuring compliance and best practices with multiple regulations, requirements, and process standards.  Staff will communicate expectations to new faculty related to current business practices, with a target of obtaining “good information in”from faculty, that will equal “good information out” for reaching desired outcomes while maintaining time/cost efficiency.  Most staff will rely on incoming email to effectively manage their time, and your own time—with the side benefit of emails creating source documentation.

Funding Sources & Restrictions

Department Administrator Dennis Manthey will explain the types of funding sources faculty usually have and what limitations may exist with how funds are expended. Lauren Gee or Jesse Prochaska, can provide details related to federal research expenditures, reporting, and overall award management—depending on who is assigned to monitor your awards.

Use of Startup Funds

Department Administrator Dennis Manthey will explain how startup funds can be utilized and can share the account numbers.

Pre-Award Roles & Responsibilities

The Department has assigned its Research Administration staff to support certain faculty.  The first point of contact for questions or opportunities regarding proposals for funding is your assigned staff person (Nancy Griego or Lauren Gee). Proposals are to be submitted several days before their due date, to allow time for review by the College of Engineering Research Support Services Offices.

The UW Research and Sponsored Programs Office office has final signature authority on all extramural support activities.

Additional Information Sources and Training Requirements Before Proposal Submission:

Outside Activities Report (OAR)

Conflict of Interest (COI) training

Export Control (COI)

Some of the Electronic Systems Used to Either Submit Proposals or Manage Awards:

WISPER – WISconsin Proposal Electronic Routing System is a web-based system for routing proposals and agreements

Cayuse424 – Web-based system for proposal submissions via and for submissions to NIH, DOD, CDC, and USDA

PAMS – Portfolio Analysis and Management System used to manage proposals, grants and reporting for Department of Energy. Principal Investigators must register in PAMS in order to receive funding from DOE

NSF FastLane/ – Electronic system used to submit proposals and manage awards for the National Science Foundation (NSF)

eRA Commons – Electronic system used to manage proposals, grants and reporting for the National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Post-Award Sponsored Project Award Management

Your assigned Department Research Administrator (Nancy Griego, Jesse Prochaska, or Lauren Gee) will be reviewing travel requests, purchase requests, payroll and effort plans, and other financial activities to ensure award budgets allow expenditures, are documented properly, and proactively approve transactions before processing.

Your assigned Department Research Administrator will also track costs, provide balance projections when needed, assist with tracking equipment, and ensure other terms and conditions of the award are carried out according to each contract. Each can assist with pre-closing and final reviews at time of closing, and will act as agents on your behalf if appropriate.

All new employees should connect with Dina Christenson (145 ERB), prior to the start of their employment as there are deadlines which must be met on work authorizations and benefit applications.

Background Checks – complete prior to start date

Background checks are required for most of our positions including graduate assistant offers. An appointment will not be entered into the payroll system until the background check has been completed. The CBC’s (Criminal Background Checks) are initiated by the Dean’s office through GIS-General Information Systems. The CBC begins with the future employee giving electronic consent to GIS to begin the background check. The payroll coordinator is notified with the CBC has been completed and enters the appointment into the payroll/HR system.

I-9 (Employment Verification) – complete within 3 days of hire

The I-9 must legally be completed within 3 days of an employee’s start date. This is mandated by the Federal Government-Immigration Services. If the I-9 is not completed within 3 days of the hire, the position must be terminated. In layman’s terms, the I-9 is a verification that the employee is who he says he is and that the employee is eligible to work in the USA. I-9’s are initiated by the payroll coordinator through GIS (General Information Systems).

Required Payroll Paperwork

The following forms can be filled out online; printed, signed and turned into the payroll coordinator:

  1. W4 form and self-identification forms:
  2. Direct Deposit Form:
  3. Emergency Contact Form:

Benefits – 30-day deadline to enroll based on start date of appointment

Confirm that you have a benefits eligible appointment with the payroll and benefits coordinator.  If you are eligible you must attend a Benefits 101 workshop through the campus benefits office.

To sign up for Benefits 101 workshop:

General employee information (Benefits, WRS, Payroll Forms, etc.) can be found at: info/


Enrollment in UW-Madison benefit programs is online through eBenefits. It is important that you know what programs you want to enroll in and extremely important to have all of your personal information correct in the system prior to making your selections in the eBenefits system.


  • Academic Staff (ex: researchers, scientists): recruitment, hiring, appointment letters, promotions, etc. – contact the Assistant Department Administrator, Dina Christenson (145 ERB).
  • Post-Docs, Graduate Assistants (RA,PA,TA), Fellowships, Grader/Readers, Student Hourlies – contact Dina Christenson (145 ERB).
  • Honorary Appointments (Zero Dollar) – contact Dina Christenson (145 ERB).
  • Foreign Nationals, J-1 and H-1B visas, are handled by Dina Christenson (145 ERB). Student visas (F-1) are handled by the International Student Services office.


The UW’s purchasing procedures are governed and administered by the State of Wisconsin.  There are many regulations and protocols that staff are required to follow when staging procurement.  Procedures to follow depend on the dollar amount of the order.

To start, please complete the EP Dept’s Purchase Request/Intake form and forward to the Dept Research Administrator assigned to your PI. Requests are proactively reviewed for appropriateness, legality, and ensure funding allows the purchase.

The EP Dept Purchase Request Guides will provide assistance on how to facilitate staging purchases. There are two guides–one applies to orders less than $5K, the other is to be used for orders of $5K or more.  These guides provide grad students with standards workflows, and references what information is required from them to facilitate the staging process.


Note that only a UW purchasing agent can legally place orders for more than $5K.

Purchases under $5,000 can be made by faculty and staff within the department, using the following:

  • Shop@UW is the university’s e-commerce site that allows faculty and employees to easily compare prices, purchase tax-free, and return items available from contracted vendors, including Grainger, Staples, VWR and much more. Purchases on the site require an account (MDS Number). Please contact Kathy Wegner for assistance.  Note: Each vendor has a contact person for discounted quotes and for finding items not available from the vendor through Shop@UW.
  • SWAP is the university’s surplus property seller.  This is a good place to find used but good office furniture, computer equipment, and items for your lab.  Purchase on the site requires an MDS number. Please contact Kathy Wegner for details.

The UW is tax-exempt.  All purchases should not include tax.

All purchases should be shipped to a UW address. Use this format for your shipping address:

UW-Engineering Physics
c/o (your name)
1500 Engineering Drive, Rm #
Madison, WI  53706


If items are not available from any of the above resources, purchases under $5,000 can be made with an EP department procurement card. Staff with pcards will use the completed EP Research Admin Checklist for Federal Funded Purchases form to determine best procedure and who can place order.