Industrial and Systems Engineering


  • Department Manager
    • David Kantor,
      • Academic and University Staff appointments
      • Policies and procedures
      • Building management and work orders
      • All other questions
  • Office Support
    • Kelly Petersen,
      • Front desk
      • Driver’s authorizations
      • E-reimbursement
      • Travel questions
      • MDS purchases
      • ISyE building keys
      • Department copier
  • Communications
    • Connor Peterson,
      • Department Events (Colloquiums, Scholarship Night, Engineer’s Day, Advisory Board, Graduation events, etc.)
      • ISyE website and Social Media
      • Undergraduate/Graduate scholarships
      • Student groups
  • Payroll and Benefits
    • Aaron Webster,
      • RA/TA/PA salary, benefits, and appointment letters
      • I-9 employment verification
      • Speak Test information
      • Benefit advisement
      • Visa processing and tracking
      • Summer support hiring
  • Research Proposals
    • Colby Johnson,
      • Research fund administration
      • Pre- and post-award management of research grants
      • WISPER records
      • Research proposal editing
  • Department Accounting
    • Krysta Koralesky,
      • Department financial policies and procedures
      • E-reimbursement
      • P-card use
      • Budget management


The department office issues keys. If you need to request a room key you can do so on KeyLime. After you receive an email confirmation, keys can be picked up in 3270 ME.


Conference Room: you can request a conference room online here. Please allow 24 hours for your request to be approved.

Classrooms are controlled by Campus Event Services and can be scheduled after classroom assignments are made each semester.


If you need a line changed or set up please come to the ISyE Department Office.


Maintenance and service calls requests should be sent to the Academic Department Manager.

Hiring Students

All students must be set up on payroll BEFORE they start working. Contact the ISyE Payroll and Benefits Specialist before you hire a student.

Grad Recruiting

Industrial and Systems Engineering recruits individual students for graduate programs. Funding for graduate student recruitment comes from the Graduate Student Recruitment Fund. Associate Chair of Graduate Affairs is in charge of this fund and the faculty must first receive approval from the Associate Chair before contacting individual students. Faculty needs to notify ISyE main office when a student will visit. Main office will make hotel reservations and email student with an overview of information for their time on campus including hotel confirmation and e-reimbursement form. Faculty hosts is responsible for student agenda and other arrangements.

RA Policy

Research Assistants must be approved by the Associate Chair of Graduate Affairs. The minimum appointment for a RA is 50%. The department guidelines for the stipend rate structure are as follows: 1) the rate structure allows up to three discrete levels for each category of assistantship; (2) the minimum stipend established by the Graduate School will be the lowest level in the rate structure for PA appointments but not for RAs and TAs, to make them more competitive with our peers in the Big 10+ in engineering; (3) The highest level in the rate structure for RAs will be comparable to the NSF fellowship.

TA Policy

Professors generally choose their TAs, or they may ask the Department Administrator to send out an announcement recruiting applicants. In that event, an email will be sent to ISyE graduate students, and a recruitment announcement will be posted on the bulletin board outside the ISyE department office (ME 3270) and the “Job Opportunities” bulletin board outside ME 3127.

Leave Reporting

Leave reports should be completed monthly and put in Payroll Specialist or Dept. Administrator’s mailbox in ME 3107.


  • All purchases must be shipped to a UW address.
  • All purchases should be made in compliance with university guidelines. If you have questions, please contact the ISyE Accountant BEFORE you purchase.
  • The UW is tax exempt. All purchases should not included tax.
  • More information on ISyE’s purchasing card policies and procedures can be found on our website.

PURCHASES UNDER $5,000 can be made by faculty and staff within the department.

  1. Shop@UW is the university’s e-commerce site that allows faculty and employees to easily compare prices, purchase tax-free, and return items available from contracted vendors, including Grainger, Staples and VWR and many more. Purchases on the site require an account. Contact the ISyE University Services Program Associate (USPA) for details.
    • Each Vendor has a contact person for discounted quotes and to find items not available from the vendor through Shop@UW.
  2. DoIT is the university’s technology vendor. There are several shops on campus and online webstore. Purchases on the site require an account. Contact the ISyE USPA for details.
    • Josh Jankowski is the department IT Specialist. Consult with him on your purchases and have him help you configure your computer. He can place orders for you or you can ask the department to place individual orders. He can also assist with data backup.
    • Engineering software may be available to download through Computer-Aided Engineering(CAE).
  3. If items are not available from any of the above resources, purchases under $5,000 can be made with the ME department credit card. Contact the ISyE University Program Specialist for details.
  4. Business cards may be ordered through DoIt. Log in using your NetID and password. Down on the left are COE business card templates, you can use. You can order there yourself with an account number, or sit down with the ISyE USPA to order.
  5. Transportation
  6. Hosting meals for others requires an itemized receipt and business purpose. There are additional forms required for paying for or reimbursing hosted meal expenses. See the UW policy and/or contact the ISyE USPA BEFORE you host a meal.

PURCHASES MORE THAN $5,000 are made and authorized only by UW purchasing agents and require a purchase requisition. Contact the ISyE Accountant to get started.

Course Evaluations

All course evaluations are done through AEFIS online: https// Faculty can view course evaluations after grades are submitted.

Student Exit Surveys

College of Engineering Senior Exit (EBI) survey is to be completed in person. Students are to stop by the ISyE Department Office in ME 3270. Students can complete the ISyE Senior Exit Survey here.

Student Services

Undergraduate student services personnel (Maria Zarzalejo, Stacy Harnett, and Francisca Jofre) are located in 1410 Engineering Drive Suite 170. Graduate Student Services personnel (Pam Peterson) is located in ME 3182.




The university has important regulations that must be followed in order to purchase or be reimbursed for travel. It is the traveler’s responsibility to understand and comply with UW travel and reimbursement policies and procedures. If you have specific questions about policies or procedures contact the ISyE USPA or Accountant. Please see the Important Travel Reminders form on our website.

Important highlights are:

  • Travelers must be an authorized driver to claim mileage, rent a car, or drive a university fleet car. Please visit and complete the EVUA to get authorized. See the Risk Management website for information.
  • All UW employee and visitor airfare must be booked though Fox/Concur
  • All UW employee and visitor lodging must be booked through Fox/Concur or through the hotel or conference site directly. Third party sites like Expedia and Travelocity are not allowed.
  • The University follows federal meal and lodging per diems. A lodging and meal allowance calculator is available for travelers to determine per diems by location. This may be used before travel to plan or after travel for reimbursement.
  • Travel and expense reimbursement is submitted by employees through the UW E reimbursement system.
  •  After reimbursements are completed online, all required receipts are turned in to room 3270 ME. Travelers should complete the ISyE E-Reimbursement Form and turn it in with receipts. If traveler is a student, the PI for the funding to be charged needs to sign the E-Reimbursement form.

 IT Resources

If you plan to buy a computer or software, contact ISyE IT Support: Joshua Jankowski: to get started.  For phone lines setup or changes contact our University Services Program Associate in ME 3107.

Printing and Copiers

The department printer and copier are located in the copy room connected to ME 3107. To access the printer via the network please contact ISyE IT support: Joshua Jankowski at

Equipment Loans

To borrow laptops, speakers, conference phones, adapters and projectors, please stop by the department main office in ME 3107. See front office personnel and sign out equipment from cabinet.


Please go to: You’ll need to login using your NetID and password. Once logged in, you’ll click “Create new profile” at the bottom of the page. You can include your lab website on this profile as well.


The College of Engineering has an external relations team who will work with you on exciting stories regarding your research, grants you may receive or anything else pertaining to your time here. You will meet with them to get a profile written to be used in your announcement as a new faculty member to CoE and ISyE.  If you have exciting news to share, please send details to ISyE Communications Specialist as well as Jane Feller and Renee Meiller.


If you notice changes to the website, please send them to the ISyE Communications Specialist.


Please follow us on Twitter and Facebook. If you’re active on social media, please follow us and tag us in your posts!